Friday, October 5, 2007

Thank yer, Seattle Children's Hospital....and a PRAYER REQUEST!!

No, the 'yer' isn't a typo, just a joke I thought my friends in Seattle might appreciate. :) Yep, I still say it here, and people probably just think I am weird.
So this week has had a bit too much excitement, and there is nothing fancy about this blog entry, just a shameless plea for continued prayers for this particular situation. One of my patients that I cared for this past Tuesday was here on the ship for a cleft lip repair. She is an adorable little six month old, but very tiny...so she looks maybe three months old. She was fine as I cared for her Tuesday evening, so later that night when the emergency medical team was paged to the ward, I just about fell through the floor when I walked through the door to find the team in the midst of trying to resuscitate her. By God's grace, they were able to, however she earned herself a breathing tube, and has been in our ICU for the past three days. We don't have a lot of ICU nurses on board, and even fewer pediatric ICU nurses, and the last thing I would consider myself is an 'expert'....so on my first shift caring for her, it only took my ventilator alarming about three times for me to decide it was time for me to call home. It was about nine in the morning here, ...so probably around 2am at home. It was a huge sigh of relief to talk to my charge nurse Robin and the RT on that night, Lane, and they helped me talk through some things.. we don't have any respiratory therapists on board the ship. So every time I am caring for a ventilated patient here, I wish that I had paid more attention back at home!! But I am learning. All that to say, a big thank you to the PICU at CHRMC!! That may have been my first call for help, but it probably won't be my last:). I thank God for the team there and all their skills and knowledge. And I thank Him for satellite phones:).
So, as of today, little Joanna got her breathing tube taken out, and at this moment is doing amazingly well! Praise the Lord!!! The doctors are still unsure what caused the arrest, which makes everyone a little nervous for her little future. Please pray for Joanna, that God would strengthen her little body, bring her complete healing, and get her off this ship and back to her family SOON. Please also pray for her sweet mother, Rebekah, who has been by her side this whole time. It has been a very hard road for her. Thank you for your prayers and I will update you on this sweet little one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"thank yer" is that from you've got mail?

Dad said...

Becks,
Praise God for His healing!
As uncomfortable as it is, you are the expert! That doesn't mean you know everything there is to know, but it does mean you know more than most of the rest of the people on the ship when it comes to pediatrice intensive care and have the WISDOM to reach out for help. Calling Children's Hospital in Seattle was an "expert idea". And look at how God has blessed the efforts of all of you who were there to help this little girl.
I am proud of you, Becky, and so thankful for your service on the Africa Mercy.