Thursday, October 11, 2007

Signs of the Times!

There are always actually too many things to write about, but one thing lots of people ask me about is what language people speak here in Liberia. There a lots of languages, but primarily people speak Liberian English. So it actually only makes things more amusing and not a little confusing when trying to communicate. We actually have translators on the ward, and at first I was unsure of why....well it did not take long to understand that while we are all speaking English, we often are NOT speaking the same language. As well, out in town, the signs are in English, but sometimes even the Liberians are not sure of what some of them are trying to communicate. My friend Amber, kindly shared her pictures with me, so you can see some of the funniest ones. My personal favorite: "Caring is Unrewarding" Posted above one of the doorways of a local hospital. We still haven't gotten an explaination on that one.....:) Enjoy!









2 comments:

Dad said...

Cute. It's funny what happens when you start mixing different languages and words. . . . .
kind of like. . . . . . . . .
Throw the cow over the fence some hay.
Love you, Becks!

Heather said...

Becky,

I'm so glad I got to read your blog! Is there a way for me to get notified when you've put a new one up? I love hearing what you're doing. I miss you!

Heather Bock