Thursday, September 27, 2007

Return from the dark side.

So, a nurse's schedule is never "normal"...and I should probably just let go of the dream that there will at any point in the near future be any rhyme or reason to my daily life:) ha! It just always eludes me. I am pretty much used to never knowing what day of the week it is. So I have just come off of a stretch of 5 night shifts, and tomorrow go back to working day shift. This day is my one chance to make a successful turn-around of the schedule, so I am avoiding the NAP at all costs! Thanks to those of you who prayed, as the first four of the five nights were QUIET...praise God! So I even had a little time to read and relax a bit. The last night we went out with a bang....Our maxillo-facial doctors are back in gear again, which means we will be having some more interesting nursing ahead of us in the coming weeks....major facial reconstructions, etc. I will try to find another video clip to add to the blog so you can imagine some of these things. It is pretty amazing. I thank God for my experience back at home in the PICU, as some of the things that come out from the OR would, back at home, definitely be cared for in the ICU...new tracheostomies, mouths sutured shut, all the facial reconstruction would at least land people in intensive care for observation for a couple days. Well, welcome to Africa, where after going to the recovery room for a couple of hours, these patients are just brought out to the ward, and cared for in a six patient assignment. Dr. Gary came into the ward the other night to check in on his patient that he had spent 8-plus hours operating on earlier that day and said "A little different from Seattle, isn't it?!" And I could only laugh in response. Yep.
Speaking of video clips, I need to brag for a moment about my friend who had her hand in making these amazing pieces for Mercy Ships....I mentioned my friend Kelly in a previous blog. She and I did our discipleship training school together eight years ago on board the Anastasis, and now here we are, after all these years reunited on board the Africa Mercy. Kelly works in the communications department, and spends much of her time doing filming, editing, and putting together these beautiful portrayals of some of the stories within this ministry. I think she is a genius and think more people should see her work!! She so kindly helped me learn how to attach the video clips to my blog, so I will try to get more on here!! Thanks, Kelly!! Hope you all enjoy these as much as I have! I added one below to my previous blog on the fistula patients, so check it out if you get a chance! Hope you are all well and I look forward to getting caught up a bit with you all now that I am back to a daylight schedule:). Blessings~

No comments: